Thursday 29 May 2014

Chacott Cleansing Water

Ever since I had Lasik nearly two years ago, micellar/cleansing waters has become an integral part of my makeup removal routine.


A close friend raved about Bioderma to me years ago, but I didn’t understand what it was and mistook it for a toner, and for years I thought it was merely meh. It wasn’t until I went on a hunt for an effective makeup remover that didn’t need rinsing (first few months post-Lasik one should not get the eye area wet with anything other than prescribed drops) that I finally realised the magic of micellars.


Even now, Bioderma (the pink Sensibio one) is in my books, the one to beat on a balance of effectiveness, feel, accessibility and of course price. While Bioderma isn’t expensive in Taiwan, I’m fickle/curious/bored/f-ed up enough to want to want to try all the micellars out there, whether cheaper or more expensive.






Chacott for Professionals’ Cleansing Water is one such contender, and being around 20% cheaper, I simply could not resist.


Chacott is a store that caters to dancers and gymnasts, with their own line of stage makeup, the star product being their loose powders. A select few products from Chacott is available in Taipei at Plaza, a Japanese drugstore/nic-nac chain.  


The cleansing water comes in a simple, minimally packaged 500ml bottle, and is a completely clear liquid that has the same efficacy as water, so basically identical to Bioderma. I’ve been using this every night, as well as wiping off crazy swatching, and as far as makeup removal goes, it’s does a wonderful job. I must say that when I do have makeup on, I triple cleanse, first with an oil-based makeup remover, then a micellar, then finally an actual soap-based cleanser.





I definitely like this miles better than both the Melvita micellars available, which leaves my skin feeling tacky and slightly tight. The Chacott feels very much like Bioderma, which is like cleansing with water, but I would say this leaves my skin feeling a tad more hydrated than the Sensibio (perhaps I should try out the Hydrabio next). It’s indeed very gentle on my skin, certainly doesn’t add to my redness, but I rarely react to cosmetic chemicals, only physical irritation.


The one downfall (for most, dealbreaker) of this micellar is how it stings my eyes. I personally prefer to use a bi-phase eye makeup remover, so this issue can be overlooked, but just a heads up to those who have the opportunity to try this out, DO NOT GET THIS INTO YOUR EYES!





Noodles’ shoddy ingredients translation:
Water, DPG, PEG-6 (caprylyl/caprylic acid) glycerol, rosemary extract, camomile extract, aloe vera leaf extract, allantoin, PCA ethyl cocoyl arginate, citric acid, Na citrate, phenoxyethanol, BG, wormwood extract, clove extract, glyceryl caprylate


All in all, I’m pleasantly surprised with this micellar, and would not object to its repurchase.


Do you use micellar water? Which is your go to cocktail of choice?


xx

Noodles

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Oh no, it stings??? That's not good :( I've tried several micellar waters, but I always go back to Bioderma. I am mildly curious about the Garnier one, since it is allegedly the same thing at a much better price. Maybe I'll give it a go when I go through my current Bioderma stock, but that will take quite some time!

38noodles said...

I've heard good things about the Garnier one, but I always seem to miss the Garnier display/products when I browse the various drugstores. It's a shame the Chacott stings eyes, since I do like it alot for the skin, but more and more brands are coming out with micellars, so science continues!
Happy Dragon Boat Festival :)